Thursday, February 1, 2007

March of the Penguins

So I've been sick the past couple of days and of course that led to vegging in front of the TV and flipping channels. Last night I came across a movie on the Hallmark channel...March of the Penguins. I saw it once when it first came out in the theater but had since forgotten just how amazing it was. I was so excited to get the opportunity to see it again.

I was just completely blown away by the journey of these penguins and what they go through each winter of their lives. First of all, the fact that they can survive in the middle of Antarctica is no small feat in itself but then they travel miles and miles and miles to the middle of no where in order to reproduce. And they don't stop there. After finding a partner, mating and laying one single egg, the female penguin leaves to travel back to the sea for food leaving the male penguin to guard and hatch the egg. More than two months later the females return with food and hopefully they find their mate and new chick still alive. Then the starving males leave to find food and bring it back for the chick. The adult penguins repeat this process over and over until their chicks are strong enough to take care of themselves.

OK, so as I was watching the movie, I just kept on thinking how amazing this process is. Why are the penguins willing to go through so much for the life of their child? How do they know what to do? Is it all just instinct? How do they recognize their mate when they return from gathering food? I mean, all those penguins look the same to me. Well, I could go on and on with questions but I think it's just one of those ways that God just wants to show us his beautiful creation.
If you haven't seen the movie...go rent it!

No comments: