Sunday, February 11, 2007

SNAC - Speaking Non-Stop After Class

You know, it's been a struggle of mine the past few months living on the OM property and always being surrounded by OMers and Christians. I almost feel like I've lost the sense of urgency to reach out to the lost. After returning from being amidst an entire country of Muslims, I now am among Christians all the time. I work with Christians. I live with Christians. My neighbors are all Christians. It's almost like living in a little bubble. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and I am constantly reminded how blessed I am to be surrounded with people who constantly encourage and uplift me but I have just felt a bit of a void.
So, I've been looking for a way to somehow get involved with non-Christians, preferably internationals, and I recently discovered SNAC. Through attending Midtown Community Church, I met Adria. She is very involved with the international community in Atlanta and she has developed a few opportunities for fellowship with international students and women in the community. Because GA Tech is located in Midtown, there is a tremendous amount of international students in the area. The SNAC program is designed to give international students a time to meet with Americans and speak English...while of course enjoying some homemade goodies as well! So, last month I took the afternoon off work, drove to Atlanta and hung out with some Tech students. I had the best time!! We talked for a few hours about everything from sports to family to customs. Most of the girls I talked with were from Asian countries and they were so eager to talk with an American.
I was so encouraged by this time spent in fellowship. The next SNAC time is set for February 20th, and I look forward to seeing the girls I met last month and also meeting new people. Over time, I hope to build relationships with these girls and begin meeting them outside of the scheduled time. My prayer is that my life will be a testimony to the women I meet and they will see Christ in me. I pray for conversations with them that will lead them towards an understanding of God's love for them.
I am excited about how God will use this opportunity to glorify Himself in the lives of internationals in Atlanta.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you have found this new outlet in your life. You are such a bright spot in God's world. Love, Mom